Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Maths Can Be Fun


So as you might have noticed I've been lately watching a lot of documentaries and lectures about physics, maths and all that stuff. I presented you the Ted Talks channel a while ago, and I still think it's one of the best channels on youtube so feel free to check it out. However, I also found some great docummentaries from BBC a while ago. One if them I would like to share with you. It's called The History of Mathematics.

Now when it comes to maths, I guess I'm like most of you - I don't enjoy spending countless hours solving the same problems and writing everything all over again after making a silly mistake. Yet, at the same time, I realise that there is another side of mathematics. It's like the dark side of the moon, that we never see, yet it's so mysterious and cool. The beauty of maths is all around us, after all, even Galileo once said - maths is the languange of our universe. The ability to use simple equations to understand our universe, calculate amazing things, like distances to stars or mass of the sun using simple techniques that were invented thousands of years ago soung fantastic to me. Unfortunatelly, most of the teachers and school systems simply hide this beautiful side of mathematics under tons of boring homework and bad explanations.

But let's get back to the subject. I found this great documentary, which tells the story of mathematics. It's narated in a very interesting way. Also it shows the more interesting side of mathematics, and how it evolved since the ancient times. I really enjoyed this BBC documentary and I hope you will too. So here's the link (you will find later parts on youtube).

History of Mathematics Part 1


Thanks for reading!


Also check this out if you're interested:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan