Thursday, July 28, 2011

So Was Einstein Really an Atheist?


I've seen both theists and atheists using Einstein's believe or disbelief in god in their arguments. So was Einstein an atheist or a theist himself?


The answer to this question could be found in Einstein's books and interviews. In the book "Albert Einstein, The Human Side" by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, he denied believing in personal god: "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."

However, Einstein wasn't an atheist either, as he also said: "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings."

Source

So it seems that Einstein was somewhere in between atheism and theism. Perhaps his views are best describe as pantheism. This is confirmed by another great quote from a book by G. S. Viereck called “Glimpses of the Great”: "I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment, follow and subscribe. Cheers


You might be interested in:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Lady Gaga, Salman Khan